Collaborative School Committee
The Collaborative School Committee is a group of parents, teachers, and the school’s principal that is tasked with guidance of aspects of the school curriculum, initiatives, goals, budget decisions, and communication with the school community and the community at large. CSC meets once a month during the school year, typically on the first Wednesday of each month after the school day ends. There are 4 parent representatives on CSC, and these are elected positions. Each year, two parents are elected in the spring, and the two elected parents serve two-year terms, so there is a different mix of the four parents each year. Additionally, there are 4 teacher representatives and one paraprofessional representative on the CSC, a member of the community at large, and a member of the PTA Board typically observes the CSC meeting. The school’s principal acts as the head of the CSC, runs the monthly CSC meetings, and acts as a tie-breaker in any tied votes taken during the meetings. Typically, one of the parents keeps meeting notes and circulates the minutes to the other members of the CSC, and one parent typically acts as the primary liaison to the principal outside of the meeting times. Meetings are always open to the public.
To supplement the official guidelines from DPS, we felt that it was important as your Bromwell CSC to offer our interpretation of what CSC is, and just as importantly, what CSC is not.
What CSC Is:
- The Collaborative School Committee is responsible for certain aspects of the school’s communication with the community, including local businesses, parents, and non-parents in the school’s geographic area.
- CSC is responsible for working closely with the school’s principal and staff to set the school’s working vision for progress, including the specific yearly initiatives that the school uses to heighten student progress and achievement.
- CSC is responsible for collaborating with the principal to set the yearly budget, attempting to keep the school’s visions and goals in mind as they relate to available dollars.
- CSC is responsible for monitoring the school’s progress towards its goals and visions, specifically in the form of reviewing test scores, collaborating with the principal to ensure that teachers, paraprofessionals and the other professionals in the school are working within the framework of the overall goals and visions for the school, and encouraging creative and intelligent ways to further that progress and raise test scores.
- CSC is responsible for communicating and acting as a liaison with other parents on all matters described above.
What CSC Is Not:
- CSC is not responsible for the oversight of the day-to-day activities at the school; this is the responsibility of the principal, the teachers, and the other professionals at the school.
- CSC is not responsible for discipline, the disciplinary framework of the school, or the day-to-day discipline decisions made at the school.
- CSC is not responsible for personnel decisions at the school, and has no input on the hiring and firing of all school staff. These decisions reside with the principal and/or the personnel committee, and follow an appropriate process that does not involve CSC.
CSC meetings are open to everyone! Please join us:
September 20th, 4:30pm., at Bromwell and virtual
4:30pm., at Bromwell and virtual
4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtual December 13, 4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtual February, 9, 4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtualRescheduled
March 21, 4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtual
April 18, 4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtual
May 9, 4:00pm., at Bromwell and virtual
Bromwell CSC Bylaws
The Bromwell CSC Bylaws were developed to provide the CSC committee with an established set of rules and procedures under which to most effectively function. Download and read the CSC Bylaws
2021-2022 CSC Members
- Valecia von Weise-Principal
- Fallon Newman- Senior Team Lead
- Sarah Simpson– 5th grade teacher
- Anne Marie- 1st grade teacher
- Briana Rimkus- 4th grade teacher
- Laura Seitz – parent
- Tracy Killian – parent
- Natalie Crump – parent
- Shania McNeal- community member
More Information on the CSC
For information regarding the CSC, please visit the DPS CSC information page here.